Wednesday, October 7, 2009

From the time I was a child I was told that I was tone deaf, mostly because I could never sing on key. People laugh when I sing but I sing anyway. My children tell me that when I sing in church others around me stop singing. Perhaps it's hard to sing next to someone who is singing off key. I am so busy singing my heart out I don't ever notice! I am told that when we sing, we pray twice...sounds good to me! All this to preface my adventure today! I took my first music lesson since my one attempt to play the accordion in 4th grade. I am learning to play the Didjeridu...amazing! If you have ever tried to play the Didjeridu, you know that the person playing has to purse their lips gently and blow air into the instrument. I spent most of the hour today trying to learn how to do this,first without the Didjeridu and then with it. I found myself quite amused because it seemed so silly to be making sounds and bubbles as though I were entertaining a little child! But it was also a challenge and finally I got it! Phew!! Stephen Kent is my teacher and he is a delight...patient and very supportive! Next, I will try to learn to breathe correctly. They call it circular breathing and it is definitely going to be a big challenge. Oddly enough,I can hardly wait for my next lesson! You can google Stephen Kent and listen to his music. It is enchanting.
There is something very special about pushing one's mental boundaries, the I can'ts that we live with ...empowering and fun! What might that be for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment